Monday, February 21, 2005

The Death of Gonzo: Hunter Stockton Thompson (1937-2005)

As you can see 2 posts ago, I just finished reading his latest (final?) book. Well, this morning I wake up to this news. Shocking, to say the least.

I was aware of Thompson for quite some time but really started getting into his work around 1998 thanks to a professor of mine at the University of Florida by the name of Charles Burke. It was in a class entitled "Journalism as Literature," where we read the likes of Truman Capote, Tom Wolfe, and the Good Doctor himself. After reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, which I followed with seeing the film, I became curious for more of his writing. From there, I went to The Gonzo Papers, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, and lastly to Hey Rube. I think I shall journey to The Rum Diary next, since that is in the midst of being made into a film. If anything, today's events should inspire those working on said film to complete it more quickly.

Ol' HST was no doubt an inspiration to many and will continue to be for years to come. I'm sure Hunter's up there now enjoying a good cognac with some fine Afghan hashish. Mahalo, Hunter, mahalo...

One additional note: it seems that today, more people are concerned, at least online, about Paris Hilton's cell phone getting hacked and posted on the Internet than the death of one of the greatest literary journalists of our time. Is there any question as to why this country is in such deep shit? Someone pass me a shovel.

No comments: